Salmar Theatre members have donated a plaque to commemorate the memory of the veterans of the Second World War with the building of the Memorial Arena and the opening in 1958. Gary Brooke and Dr. John Henderson along with Phil Wright, President of the Salmon Arm and Shuswap Lake Agricultural Association installed the memorial plaque in the foyer of the arena.
In 1946, residents of Salmon Arm decided to construct an indoor ice arena as a memorial to local veterans of the Second World War. A co-operative association was formed to acquire land and build a movie theatre with the intent that theatre revenues would be used to construct and operate the proposed arena. The Salmar Theatre opened for business on May 5, 1949, and ownership was subsequently transferred to the Salmon Arm Community Association, later re-named the Salmar Community Association.
Salmar Theatre operations proved to be successful and revenues were applied to the construction of the arena, which opened to the public on July 1, 1958. Theatre revenues, as well as the proceeds of loans arranged by the Association, were utilized in further upgrades to the arena, notably the installation of an artificial ice surface in 1961. Operational assistance was also provided by Association members through common membership in the Salmon Arm Memorial Arena Association. The Association continued to provide financial and operational assistance to the arena until operations were assumed by District of Salmon Arm in 1972.